Wednesday, April 09, 2003

(from Cre8d journal)

I woke up to a beautiful, warm day and then checked my emails.

Josh sent me and some others an email which read:

"I'm looking forward to your commentary on Iraqis celebrating the fall of Saddam Hussein and his evil regime."

Let me repeat once more: to be anti-war does not mean I am pro-Saddam and I'm glad that he is not in power any more. I just didn't agree with the method to remove him.

As Richard responded,

...if anyone believes that this war was prosecuted "to free the people" I dare to suggest that they haven't thought about the way foreign policy has worked post-WWII. The list of oppressive regimes which our governments have supported is long and depressing. I see no evidence that they are not prepared to offer support to such regimes in the future if it serves "the national interest". If the Iraqi people find freedom as a by-product of this war, then I for one will be glad -- but I think it is a very big "if". There is a long way to go before peace and security can be established in the region, and it won't be imposed by Armoured Divisions...
There was surely never any doubt that this war could result in a military victory for the Coalition. But whether the peace can be won is another question altogether, and one which will take much longer to answer.


There's an interesting article in our paper this morning:

The Americans 'liberated' Baghdad yesterday, destroyed the centre of Saddam Hussein' s quarter century of brutal dictatorial power, but brought behind them an army of looters who unleashed upon the ancient city a reign of pillage and anarchy.
"It is the beginning of our new freedom," an Iraqi shopkeeper shouted at me. Then he paused, and asked: "What do the Americans want from us now?"

"You'll see the celebrations and we will be happy Saddam has gone," one of them said to me. "But we will then want to rid ourselves of the Americans and we will want to keep our oil and there will be resistance and then they will call us terrorists."

(from this post)

No comments:

Post a Comment