Monday, March 22, 2004

[noticed at renaissance girl]

There are moments between people when something happens. Something non-physical, non-verbal, inexplicable--mystical. It often doesn't make sense within the normal parameters of what usually contributes to the development of such a relational connection, key factors being time and shared experience.

I'm not writing about love at first sight, or even romance for that matter. It certainly can be romantic, but the connection I'm referring to can also be purely platonic. I usually find this connectivity in making eye contact with others, but it doesn't happen with everyone. There is something I cannot deny in the eyes of some strangers, in some of my acquaintances that draws me to them, that evokes greater compassion, desire to relate. It is an unspoken kinship that often never becomes fully actualized. Somehow the experiences of these people, their thoughts, dreams, and fears, resonate deeply within me like monsoon thunder in July.

I know this, whatever it is, when I see it. I am always thankful to find it. And when I do, I find my mind more at peace, my heart more fully beating" -Cameron Lawrence