Friday, June 18, 2004

To Hair is Human

Recently, Wendy Cooper cut off her hair, which made me reflect again about another blogger who had her hair cut for Locks of Love.

See her account of that here. An excerpt:

For me, long hair has been a symbol. I have worn my hair long all of my adult life because I was not allowed to have it that way as a child. My growing hair has symbolized my growing freedom from an oppressive childhood.

Let me make this clear. My hair was the least of my worries. It just happens to be something I have control over now as an adult.

...But I can grow my hair. My hair has been a viable, tangible symbol that the adults who mistreated me in my growing up years no longer have the power to do that. Growing my hair for this reason has been rather subconscious though. I've always just thought I liked and wanted long hair.
[inspired by the journeys of emerging sideways, Wendy Cooper and Been There...Still There]

No comments:

Post a Comment