Monday, July 25, 2005

[via Ben Witherington]

Esse Quam Videre--- To Be, rather than to Seem

Take me to the just side of justice
And the right side of righteousness,
Not the vindictive side of vindication,
for otherwise--- I do not wish to go.

Lead me to the passionate side of compassion,
And the gracious side of grace,
Not the condescending side of mercy
for otherwise I remain remote--- for pity’s sake.

Push me past the truant side of trouble
And the pleasant side of pain
Not allowing me to wallow in it---
Lest I marvel at my martyrdom

Carry me to the service side of serving
And the sacrificial side of sacrifice
Not the calculating side of caring
for otherwise, my generosity remains too frugal.

Put me outside my selfish Eden
And beyond my creature comforts
Without raising Cain in my life
for I desire to be a remarkable, not a marked man.

[read the full poem]

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:33 PM

    Wow. I view this poem as a prayer for real faith. Imagine how our world would be if people took such words to heart. With God's transforming grace...

    On a completely unrelated vein, hope the celebration of 11x3 was memorable. Yes, I know, it is not half as exciting as 2 to the power 5! God bless you today!

    ReplyDelete