Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pour Us?

[via Marla Swoffer]

Glass Half Empty, Half Full" a.k.a. "Cup Overflowing"

Materials: as many different sized drinking glasses as you have people (i.e. 4oz, 6oz, 8 oz, 12 oz, 16 oz) , water (or milk, but then you'll need cookies--and perhaps a mouse--to go with it), 1 large bowl

How To Play:

1. Think of something you wish were different but can't change.
2. Fill the glass halfway.
3. Now think of a worse situation and say "I wish it weren't______, but I'm thankful it's only_______ instead of _______.
4. Fill the glass to the rim.
5. Pour it into the next size larger glass and pass it to the next person.
6. (S)he pretends to be in that worse situation and thinks of something else to be grateful for.
7. (S)he fills it to the rim.
8. (S)he pours it into the next size larger glass and passes it to the next person.
9. Repeat steps 6-8 for everyone.
10. When the last person is done, the first person puts their empty glass into the large bowl and the last person pours their full glass into the empty glass, saying "This is my life poured out for you."
11. The first person says "My cup is overflowing."
12. (S)he uses his cup to scoop out the water and put some into each person's glass. Everyone drinks it down (if you're doing the milk and cookies version, eat them now). Group hug.

You can start a new round with the next person thinking of his/her own gripe.

Example:

First person: I wish it weren't hot, but I'm thankful it's only 80 degrees and not 110 degrees."

Next person: "It's 110 degrees, but I'm thankful I have A/C."

Next person: "It's 110 degrees and I don't have A/C, but I'm thankful I have running water."

Next person: "It's 110 degrees, I don't have A/C or running water, but I'm thankful I have water to drink."

Next person (last one): "It's 110 degrees, I don't have A/C, running water or anything to drink, but I'm thankful I'm alive." (No one is allowed to use the life card except the last person, and only if he/she has to because they can't think of anything else to be thankful)

In this way, the first person sees just how good they actually have it relative to many other people in worse predicaments...but that ultimately everyone can at least be grateful to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment