Tuesday, July 25, 2006

I'm just 22 hexadecimally!

Well, today was my 34th birthday, or as I like to say, 17 twice. Yesterday night, my friends Warren, Kathy and Cherrie took me to Bonanza to eat, which was a suprise as I wasn't expecting it. (I was expecting to help Warren with some tasks before it stormed instead.)

Later, they came by my place to hang out, and presented me with Sonar Home Studio 4 that plays and composes music on my computer. (I was definitely NOT expecting that!) Warren had thought of it since I had the Fruity Loops Demo a couple of years ago and happened to enjoy it. I also got a card reminding me of how much...commitment I should expect from them. Let's just say math, reptiles and stairs are deal-breakers, as Dr. Phil would say.

Cherrie showed me a new song called You're Pitiful from Weird Al's website, which I didn't take personally (*laughs*). I was just glad that Kathy and Cherrie were able to be there, as it is amazingly difficult to get any of my single women friends to visit or chat. (Am I that uncomfortable? Are they that busy?)

Today, I went to see Ice Age 2 at Rainbow Cinemas this afternoon on my own before going to McNally-Robinson to browse a bit while waiting for the supper rush at KFC to subside. For supper I went to KFC to get a Toonie Tuesday with a large potato salad to celebrate. Soon I thought about my friend Liz, who was with me on my birthday two years ago. (It was a very enjoyable birthday memory, even if I was quite dehydrated from walking in the blistering sun that day!) I considered calling her after I watched some TV and ate my meal, but I lost my nerve when I figured I'd just be distracting while she adjusts to life back in Saskatoon.

As I look back over the last year, I'm struck by how it feels like a transitional time. There's the sense that something will happen to me to enrich my life in the next year, yet it doesn't quite feel tangible right now. I certainly don't want to ruminate over it, especially since it could be just the experience of age, but it's awkward and frustrating while it's happening. I just wish I knew what it meant right now.

Well, that sounded a bit heavy, didn't it? I'm not finished celebrating my birthday until the end of this week, so don't feel you missed it yet! May the next year be blessed for all who read this.

3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take your blessing and raise you five happy returns of the week!

    I'm a firm believer in birthWEEKS instead of birthdays. At least. A birthfortnight, now that sounds just about right. :)

    A blessing on your 35th year, Jadon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:28 PM

    I was so impressed and complimented to be mentioned on your blog. Also enjoyed rereading your latest poem. I will always be your biggest fan. Glad you are having a wonderful birthday week , and when i get my computer running again, we will definately chat. weird al rocks! and that aint no hapax legomenon.

    ReplyDelete