Friday, May 04, 2007

Teaching Discipliine, Stifling Creativity

Maybe you’ve been following all the hoopla surrounding Mark Driscoll’s posting of the “banned” church planting video. Now, please, let’s not get into the whole Driscoll vs. Hybel debate here. That’s been done enough elsewhere. I just wanted to give some thoughts on Driscoll’s comments about twenty something guys who have their priorities all backwards, especially when he talks about guys who are “trying to figure out how to get a larger subwoofer into their retarded car”. Why did I find that interesting? Because I am that guy…or at least I could be perceived that way. I’ve got a ten inch sub in my trunk (not just any sub mind you, a MOMO sub). It’s not huge, but it’s pretty big, and can be pretty loud when I want it to be, which this time of year with the windows down and some rockin’ tunes on is pretty often.

So the big question: Being that guy, how did I feel about that statement?

....Now here’s what a lot of people miss, and why a lot of twenty-somethings are staying away from Church, just because we’re teaching discipline doesn’t mean we should stifle creativity. Car enthusiasts are more than just unmotivated jerks with retarded cars and loud subwoofers. Actually, they are extremely motivated and creative individuals whose cars are their artform.
[via one mo blog]

No comments:

Post a Comment