Saturday, August 21, 2004

Good works are not what you do.
Good works are not what you don't.
Good works are not chosen.
Good works are not forced.
Good works are not intentional.
Good works are not accidents.
Good works are not about you.
Good works are not about others.

Good works do matter.

Good works effect what you do.
Good works effect what you don't.
Good works effect your choices.
Good works effect your pressures.
Good works effect your intentions.
Good works effect your spontaneity.
Good works effect you.
Good works effect others.

Good works can be very hard.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

    Good works are all about what you do. You can't do a good work if you just sit on your butt and send good intentions.

    I do good works because I choose to do them. I mentor delinquent teens. I don't always like doing it, in fact I often don't because sometimes they are punks and they tire me, but I do it anyway.

    Even though I don't like it, I still do my best, help out the organization in many roles from Web work, to Video Editing, to Stage Manager to Grant Writing, and at no point do I wake up and say, "Yay, I'm going to do this today." I just do it.

    But I do it because I know it's good for me, it's good for the community, and most importantly, it's good for the kids. Everybody wins. We all win because we do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tricky though, because sometimes we think we're all into good works when those aren't what God had in mind; sometimes we end up doing good works, not because we're trying, but because it's a byproduct of following the Spirit.

    Good thoughts, Jadon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cap'n:

    Thanks for your contributions. Feel free to disagree.

    As for your comment, I agree that sometimes good works involve what you say. I find that many people, though, tend to perceive them one-dimensionally to exclude others.

    For example, someone might argue that since I don't do what you do, that I'm somehow not doing good works, or that I shouldn't be regarded as such.

    I will say that good works matter, and they are hard, as you've illustrated. Thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete