Tuesday, August 19, 2003

Grav(e)ity

As sure as I believe there's a heaven above, Alfie,
I know there's something much more,
something even non-believers can believe in.
I believe in love, Alfie.
Without true love we just exist, Alfie.
Until you find the love you've missed you're nothing, Alfie.


And yet I realize this a ridiculous request, in light of the fact that I'm so terrible at loving my God.


I shared a bunk in camp with a brilliant and sarcastic man who until his own death recited the kaddish [the prayer addressed to God on behalf of the dead] nightly- for God! He often laughted at himself bitterly, sardonically: here I am chanting the prayer for the dead [addressed to God] to the very One whose death I've pronounced. Does my dead God hear the prayers I'm reciting over His grave?

Text:

top- quote by Hal Davis at Observations of a Misfit
middle- seen at This Beautiful Mess
bottom- quote from here seen in Wounds Not Healed by Time by Solomon Schimmel, p.136-7

No comments:

Post a Comment