Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Went to the Worship Freehouse on Sunday at the Black Duck. It was a time to connect with others and realize the cracks and edges that occur when you only blog without meeting up at some point.

One of the things that helped me relax was the relatively equal proportions of men and women. (Thanks to newcomers Becky and Angela...) I find that when people like me (male) are disproportionate in a gathering, I get quite self-conscious, almost apologetic.

Interestingly, the conversation (with Scotty, Wendy, Becky, Angela, and Leighton) turned to women and Paul (from the Bible) at one point.

Leighton blogs about it:

I found it difficult not to respond being that I like love Paul. We engaged in a brief debate in which I did a miserable job of convincing anyone that Paul wasn't a misogynist and a sexist. Becky made a very good point. How do I know that I'm not picking the stuff from Paul I like and simply ignoring the stuff I don't like because it would be offensive. She didn't say it like that, but I think I am communicating it correctly.

Being a guy makes it easier to like Paul. He didn't say guys weren't allowed to teach or were supposed to be quiet in church.
I'd add that it's extra pressure when you're a guy and around Christians who expect and want you to conform to a certain standard or understanding of Paul and women.

So for all the women, I should say the "Man Prayer":

I'm a man,
but I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.


However, I did suggest two books on the subject. Here they are:



Not that I didn't feel awkward about this, of course. It's comparable to the struggle I (as a man) go through if I consider opening a door for a women. Either way I act seems not quite right.

Yet Wendy related the challenges of Christian women, whether about discouragement (however slight) or acheivement. Moreover, Becky mentioned some unworkable rules from Bible Colleges. It only contributed to my frustation as a male trying to find ways to share and care with Christian women.

Leighton has a relevant blog about this, referring to a Hermeneutics class with women one time:

I don't fully understand what it means to be discriminated against because of my gender or the color of my skin. I know that it sucks and it is frustrating. I know that some women in evangelical Christianity have an internalized sense of inferiority...

I really didn't know how to interpret this and I was at a loss at how this could be rectified. I even sat down with the prof and talked about it a couple of times. In the end the class was great for me but it could have been so much better.
However, the least I can do is thank the women who came to the Worship Freehouse and allowing us men to be with them.