Thursday, March 24, 2005

The Difficulty with Grace

In brokenness, may others be healed or more whole.

That's almost a good Easter message, isn't it?

I pondered this since I broke my ankle (I go in for surgery on Good Friday-- if there are no delays). I worry sometimes that my problems are a burden, and I realized that instead of troubling over my situation, I would hope and trust that others would recognize their dignity and potential without shame and would open others up to new things and new experiences. After all, it isn't just about me...it's about those around me.

There was another part of my injury that started me to think:

Sometimes honor can be disabling.

One of the the reasons why I have ambivalence about my personal health (and I have anxiety/panic problems, which doesn't help) is that it puts others in a difficult position. I realize that some just want to help, but I've always worried that it can be exploited. Then something occurred to me...this is how having power, authority or some other advantageous trait can be like. Being honored certainly has benefits, but it can feel like a disability. It can feel good to demand or accept things, but it's not all great.

No comments:

Post a Comment