Sunday, March 23, 2003

(from Living Room)

This morning I worshipped at one of the Living Rooms Parent churches. It was a very liturgical gathering with a time set aside for anyone to come forward and light a candle for any issue that they wanted us to pray for. The process was to come forward - light the taper - and share a prayer. At the end of the prayer we would all say the words, Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

A number of people came forward and prayed for the Iraq situation in a variety of ways. It struck me though that most of us didn't really know how to pray about such a complex situation. Our prayers either gave away that we were feeling either numb, angry or confused.

Lucy (who is 6 or 7) came to light a candle after others had prayed. She had a bit of trouble keeping it alight but eventually did. She stuck it in the sand and paused for a few seconds before saying...

I wish this dumb war would stop

She then sat down as us adults echoed the words - Lord in your mercy, hear our prayer.

Lucy in that moment was able to cut through alot of the crud that many of us were feeling and was able to express in a very profound way her own cry for peace. One might look at her prayer as being overly simplistic or not understanding the full situation but I was inspired by her childlike faith and was able to finally put words to some of the feelings I've been having. I think I'll be praying Lucy's prayer from now on.

I wish this dumb war would stop

No comments:

Post a Comment